Acting in a purposeful way to share God’s love with the world we support established local agencies with donations, goods, and services. Agencies we honor with our time, talents, and donations are:
- Nickel-a-Meal The plan of Nickel a Meal is very simple. Each person reserves 5 cents (or more) for each meal he/she eats and offers the money to support ministries that work with the poor, both locally and internationally. Twice a year the Presbytery Hunger Committee presents grants for the work of these ministries.
- The Snack Sacks program provides healthy snack foods for children in northern Buncombe County during the summer months. The program fills a void in food supply when schools are not in session and children cannot participate in the free and reduced lunch program. In 2016, we provided over 900 food bags over an 11-week period.
- Weaverville Senior Meal Site at the First Baptist Church on Main Street in Weaverville. The meal site is open M-F 9:00-1:00 p.m. and promotes the independence of people 60 and older by providing a safe, friendly environment to enjoy crafts, games, exercise, and a nutritious meal. A portion of our annual designated giving includes the Senior Meal Site.
- Asheville Habitat for Humanity The 25th Presbyterian/Methodist house was completed in December, 2016 and the Hensley family closed on their home in March. We celebrated with five new partner families who moved into the Shiloh houses, built this past fall. We collect items for the Habitat ReStore during our Habitat campaign and raised over $400 for the Presbyterian/Methodist build.
- Black Mountain Home for Children, Youth & Families BMHFC serves children ages 5-18 who have been abused abandoned, or neglected. The home, which is located in Black Mountain, North Carolina, provides a safe, supportive, Christian environment for these children. Our Youth Group spent a week last June working at the home and enjoying fellowship with many of the residences.
- Asheville Buncombe Community Christian Ministry – North ABCCM-North is one of the crisis ministry locations of Asheville Buncombe Community Christian Ministry and serves those in the north end of Buncombe County. The ministry provides emergency assistance for individuals and families in crisis by supplying food, clothing, furniture, heating, utility, and rent assistance. We collect needed, non-perishable items on the last Sunday of each month and deliver the items to ABCCM-North in support of this valuable ministry.
- Amanda Craft and Omar Chan, mission co-workers serving on the US-Mexican border as regional liaison for Guatemala and Mexico and with the Presbyterian Border Region Outreach.
- Operation Christmas Child (Samaritan’s Purse) What’s more fun than packing Christmas boxes and imagining children somewhere in the world smiling because of your thoughtfulness? We invite everyone to help with this fun mission and several of our members work at distribution centers to send God’s love on its way around the world.